Friday, January 27, 2006

Match Point-tried not to post spoilers but warning anyway

I saw “Match Point” last night. Let me first say I am not a Woody Allen fan. I will never argue that his movies are crap, because I don’t think they’re really bad, I just don’t get all the who-haw over them. I thought Match Point looked interesting, so I third-wheeled on Bill and Karen and went to see it with them.
I don’t want to give any of the movie away, but I sort of hated it and sort of liked it at the same time. A lot of the movie felt like I was watching a high school play, mainly any part that had Scarlet Johansson in it.

I’m a Scarlet Johansson fan, but she really sucked in this one. Her acting was horrible. We all agreed on that. Bill and Karen liked the movie more than I did, I think. Did she get nominated for something for this role? It was amazing how bad she was. I can’t believe such an acclaimed and experienced director (especially of drama/comedy) would let her get away with that performance. Stinky.

Also near the end of the movie I thought I had to “suspend my disbelief” a little too much. There is a seen in which there is a loud noise, yet nobody seems to hear it and it seemed really weird to me. Also, a couple of the characters kind of go off the deep end a little and I don’t think the scenes leading up to their behavior satisfactorily showed why they would act out how they did.

The movie had a nice theme. I was more or less satisfied with the ending, which kept me from outrightly hating the whole thing. The movie drags a little in parts. Other parts are good. Overall, I guess I didn’t think it was that great, but probably better than the majority of the crap that gets released.

Off the movie topic, I dropped Roan off at preschool earlier. It’s pajama day and for snack they’re making pancakes. Well, there is a class in there before them and the room smelled so good. Like pancakes. Mmmmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home