Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Special Agent Man

So, the special agent thing turned out to be a lot of nothing. The dude was a “special” agent for the U.S. Treasury Inspector General. He’s like an accounting cop. A couple months ago, a different “special agent” left a really crappy looking card in my mailbox with a note on the back saying “please call me” with two phone numbers neither of which had a 916 area code. The card looked really fake, especially since it said “special agent.” It wasn’t even on “real” business card stock and it looked like it had been made on a copy machine. So I ignored it. I figured if it was for real, they’d get in touch with me another way.

So Monday afternoon a different “special agent” shows up at my door. He was talking to me and said he needed to ask me a few questions to see if I know some people. He wanted to come in the house. I said “not a good time.” I didn’t know if this was a scam or not. He showed me his fancy I.D. and special agent badge. (How the hell would I know if it was fake or not). He gave me his card. This one looked like a “real” business card. I told him to come back on Tuesday.

We googled him and he appeared to be legit. His name turned up in a Fresno Bee article about some guy he busted for bankruptcy fraud, among other things. He also showed up on a BYU alumni page thing (saying he took a position in Sacramento as “special agent’).
Then I found two different announcements (from different sources) for some seminar he was in charge of and it had his name and the same phone number he gave me. I figured if he was some guy posing as this special agent guy, he would not give me the real guys phone number. This was while I had my dad telling me to call the FBI and my brother telling me to call the cops. My mom’s friend of a friend works as an IRS investigator and she looked into it and said the guy was legit and that sometimes if it involves your social security number, the agents just come to your house as part of the investigation.

So, he came over asked me if I knew some people (I didn’t know any of them). Or if I knew anyone who worked for the IRS in Fresno (I don’t). I’m still a little confused as to what was going on, but I think an IRS employee was pulling up my name (actually involved my maiden name) and it looked suspicious. The special agent guy thinks it was a fluke. So, not very exciting (luckily). I told him about the other guys business card (I actually showed it to him, because I still have it). He said they have to pay for the fancy cards. If they don’t buy their cards, then they print them out on the computer. Then he actually called the guy and jokingly told him to stop using the cheap cards and that’s why no one calls him back (true) because they look fake.

Here’s a link just posted on the chick list. It’s cute. Slo-mo dogs and techno music.

1 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger werenotdeep said...

The dog clip is pretty damn cute, I have to say. The music pretty much makes no sense. Great photography, though, and it's like I told Katy, it's just like a tribute to the patient and content nature of dogs. You throw them in the air, blow air on them from underneath, they kinda sit there with this "Oh...this is weird" look on their face, but they're more or less still happy that you're playing with them.

I've never had many run-ins with the cops or the FBI. Not even when I called and reported to them a guy who had threatened to shoot me and told me that he was a cop, but was really just a crazy drugged-out weirdo who may or may not have been involved in a kidnapping. Didn't give help give me a renewed faith in the Sac PD, that's for sure. I also kinda think it might partially have been that when the officers did arrive, they saw that the address was Smitty's place and just left. Heh heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home