Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Ride the Lightning

I guess we’re all anxiously awaiting the posting of the blog paparazzi’s photos from the Fours Eyes show. Haven’t seen any yet, but I know there are some good ones. Have I mentioned how much fun that show was?

Anyone wake up to the sound of War of the Worlds this morning around 2:45 am? There was a thunderstorm pretty much directly over our house. There would be a flash of light and then this horrible sound that I can’t even begin to describe. It didn’t sound like thunder, though. It didn’t even sound like thunder. It didn’t have the rumbling echo like sounds. I guess because the sound waves didn’t have very far to travel. This lead to Davey and I discussing the Doppler effect at 3 am, and then just settling on, “yeah, it’s some physics thing.”

Then I started thinking about Physics as I was falling asleep. I really liked Newtonian Physics in college. The class I took was basically a glorified high school Physics class, since it stuck with the algebraic stuff and stayed away from the Calculus. Sometimes in the lab, the instructor would play those PBS shorts called “Eureka!” My sixth grade teacher used to play them too. I never got them in sixth grade. After taking some college Physics, I could finally follow them.

I forgot to mention how scared Davey was by the lightning storm last night. We were such dorks we got up to check the weather report. Actually, the sound of the thunder when it was right over our house was so freaky, I wouldn’t get out of bed until the storm passed a little and the thunder sounded “normal” again. The kids seemed to sleep through the whole thing. This morning Roan said she heard it and put her fingers in her ears. I’m not sure if she meant the thunder woke her up, or just her noisy sister.

We went to Trader Joe's last night. I got some blueberry gut bomb muffins. I think they are called “fiber cakes” or something like that. Last night, Roan said she was hungry and I asked if she wanted a muffin and she excitedly said, “Yes.” She wasn’t too excited after she had a bite of the muffin. I got her to eat most of it.

This morning I asked what she wanted for breakfast. She didn’t know, so I asked if she wanted a muffin. She did. I warned her about five times that it was the same kind of muffin she had last night. She still wanted it. Then after I gave it too her, she said something like, “I don’t like the junky muffins that Daddy gave me” (haha she blames Davey). She keeps calling them junky muffins. I only gave her half of one and she’s been trying to finish it for about half an hour.

5 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those muffins are nasty sticky. I wasnt scared by the lightning, i was happy. it was erally cool sounding; you'd just hear the lightning riping through the air. no thunder. i had never been that close before to get that effect.

daveninja

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger werenotdeep said...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/munia/364026.html

Boing!

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like those muffins but sometimes can only eat half at a time.

I am obsessed with fiber consumption however.

this makes me old and boring.
-natalie

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lisa wrote:
"Then I started thinking about Physics as I was falling asleep"

And you are thinking you're a dork for checking the weather report? Are you sure you got that right?

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

Natalie and Lurch, you both just made me laugh out loud.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home