Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sew Many Christmases

I broke the needle on my sewing machine the other day. I put on the overcast foot, which has a little bar in the middle for the thread to go around. Unfortunately, I forgot to change the stitch selector to the overcast setting, which tells the machine to move the needle around the bar. I started the machine up and there was some horrible banging, crunching snapping noises. Part of the needle flew up at me, too. The noise was so bad, I thought I’d killed the machine. Not only did I break a needle, but I managed to snap the little bar off the overcast foot as well. There is a gouge in the bar where the needle hit it. Luckily, Davey is very skilled with the JB Weld, so he glued it back together for me. I tried it out yesterday and it is now working fine.

I normally love this time of year, but this year I feel too hurried and stressed out. It sucks. Not to mention we will be having about four “Christmases” again this year. We’ll have one at our house the day before Christmas eve, before we leave town. We’ll have two in Santa Cruz on Christmas Eve and then Christmas morning at my parents. It just starts to be too much. Especially when you’re traveling with two little kids and a carsick dog. It also means that Christmas actually starts two days earlier.

Yeah, I’m in a complaining sort of mood. Maybe it’s because I started the day off with a Banquet chicken fingers frozen entree. There’s not much to eat in the house and that was sitting in the freezer. Davey would eat those for lunch all the time. I don’t see how, they’re pretty gross. Roan helped me eat it. She wanted to dip the chicken in the brownie.

4 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

I have extra needles, so the broken needle was no prob. I was just worried about the foot, but now that it's glued together, it works fine.
I had two craptacular sewing machines before this one. I took half a sewing class (was pregnant with Roan when I took it and preggo stuff got in the way of finishing) and bought a NEW machine. I love it. Nothing is worse when you're trying to learn how to sew and can't because you're constantly dealing with a cranky old p.o.s. sewing machine.

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont eat the chicken fingers banquets anymore. i got yucky cartalidge in like 3 in a row and quit. i only eat the Banquet corn dog meals now.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate breaking a needle. It could fly anywhere! That's why I wear eye protection.

gbomb

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should take a sewing class. I took one at ARC when I was trying to fulfill an arts/culture req't. I made a really ugly shirt and a pair of pull on pants that I wore all the time until they fell apart at the seams.

I got a D, by the way. I had it wiped clean with Academic Renewal, so it was like I hadn't even taken a class, which is about right since I sew like I'd never learned how.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home