Monday, November 14, 2005

Spies Like Us

So, we have this spy-cam set up in the girls room. We have a little black and white monitor in our room that we can watch them on. After being put to bed, Roan usually likes to get back out of bed and “play” with baby Sage. Then what usually follows is the baby get riled up and then Roan starts to get tired and complains that Sage is being loud. This usually results in about 2 hours of trying to get both of them to go to sleep. (Last night Roan summoned me to her room because “baby Sage has the ‘hippocks’”).

Well, last night after busting Roan getting out of bed once, Davey went to our room and turned on the spy-cam. When Roan got out of bed he would tap on the wall (their room is right next to ours) and Roan got back in bed. I started watching this. Roan sat up in her bed. Then she would so slowly scoot an inch at a time towards the edge. It was hilarious. She got closer and closer to the edge of the bed when she finally made a break for it and put her feet on the floor. Davey immediately tapped the wall and she jumped back on the bed. It seemed kind of messed up because we were both laughing at the poor kid, but it was really funny and she knew she wasn’t supposed to be up bothering her sister.

So after the second or third time Davey tapped on the wall, Roan calls out “Mommy.” I knew it was about the noise. Strange noises bother her. The garbage truck used to freak her out every week. Davey came up with the idea to tell her that it was Santa tapping on the wall. So I went to talk to her from outside the door, because if I opened the door and the baby saw me, she’d freak out. So Roan told me she heard a noise and I told her that it was Santa and he could see her getting out of bed and he was reminding her to be a good girl so she could get presents at Christmas. Roan seemed oddly satisfied with that answer and I hurried back to see what she was doing on the monitor. Well, she got back in bed, rolled over and went to sleep. Davey said something about how great the “Santa thing” was. Santa must have been invented by parents.

Wow, I just used the spell-checker and the only words that came up misspelled were “hippocks” and “Davey.” No wonder I was 6th grade spelling bee champion.

We watched half of “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” last night. I was enjoying it more than I thought I would (only heard that it wasn’t that good...well, I guess so far it isn’t that good, but not soooo bad either). I read the book in 8th grade. Then I started thinking about the 80’s and how long ago that seems. I guess it is pretty long ago. Then I think about people our parents age and how it feels to look back on the years they were growing up.

Ironically when I spell check the last two paragraphs I had misspelled the word “misspelled.”

4 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Rosalitahead said...

I love this story so much.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep getting the song "aint nobody but spies like us" stuck in my head. boy, that was a funny movie.

dave

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

This is kinda weird. I was about to feed the baby and Roan wanted "ballet music" on. So I looked through the DirecTV music stations and selected "soundtracks." The song that was on was "W.A.M.P." from the motion picture "Spies Like Us." First song right when I tuned to it. Okay, it would've been better if it was the song you're talking about, but still. I had just read your comment right before, too.

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant wait to see Roanie's ballet dance to "spies like us".

dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home