Thursday, October 27, 2005

Oh What A Night....


Actually, great night started in the afternoon when we took the kids to the vet (well, okay, pediatrician, but I think vet sounds better). Sage had her six month well check and a million shots to get. During the exam I got busted when the doctor asked Roan, “that looks like a healthy snack, what is it?” I told him it was sugar cereal (Reeses puffs). He made a face and said “Well, everything in moderation.” Ack, why didn’t I bring her usual snack of raw broccoli and wheat germ? Their doctor wanted both of them to get the flu shot. (Sorry Roan). So we trucked it on down to the (insert sinister music) SHOT ROOM.

Roan was really excited to go to the shot room. The last few times she’s been, she wasn’t the one getting shots. They have a big carpeted room with some wooden structures to climb on and often (because getting shots takes forever) other kids running around waiting for their turn to get stuck. So when we go to the doctor, Roan always asks to go to the shot room.

We get called back and Roan has to get her shot first. The shot lady kept calling her Ro-Ann and asked if Sage was pronounced Saw-jay (as if it were Sage with the little squiggle above the E). Roan got her shot and started crying and calmed down a little when she got to pick out a sticker. She picked the danged Barbie one, too. Yuck. I would’ve been wise to take her out of the room then, before her sister got her 3 or 4 sticks, but I’m not wise and stayed.

Roan watched her sister get jabbed with needles and then the both started crying. The only difference was, after they stopped poking her, the baby stopped crying and Roan continued to scream for about ten minutes. We went to the pharmacy and bought her some chewable ibuprofen (grape flavor, yum). I had to take her back out because she kept SCREAMING.

We get home and Roan kept saying her leg hurt (they gave her the shot in her right thigh). Davey would ask what leg and she kept saying the wrong one. Then she’d get confused and we laughed at her (it was really cute). Well, she got pretty mad because “people shouldn’t laugh at kids” and “I don’t like when Daddy laughs at me.” All of which almost made me laugh again (poor Roan) so apologies and hugs were given and she stopped complaining about her leg.

The kids got tired early, so we started the bedtime procedure around 8 pm or so. All seemed to be going ok, we were trying to finish some zombie missions on World of Warcraft when the baby woke up. It was only 9 or so....

Well, we got Sage to go back to sleep around 11:45 after lots of feeding and rocking then giving up then more feeding and rocking. The dang baby still woke up when I put her back in her crib for the last time. I guess she finally just gave up trying to stay awake, because she didn’t start screaming again and eventually fell asleep.

I can’t remember what time Roan first woke up screaming, maybe 3:30, and then 4:30 and 5:30. She kept having this reoccurring dream about her hands being dirty (I’m not joking). She wanted to wash her hands.

At the 4:30 awakening, I noticed she was sweaty. I thought it was from wearing the fuzzy, footy pajamas she had on. She wouldn’t let me trade them for less warm pj’s. So I just told her to keep her blanket off of her some and I got her some milk. When she has bad dreams, she always asks for milk.
At 5:30 she starts screaming again. This time I think I’m going to start crying. I go in and she keeps saying her hands are dirty. I tell her it’s just a dream. I start to tuck her in and noticed some white curdled glob with sticky red glops in it on her bed and pillow. Next words, “Davey, I need some help in here.”

All of this time Roan is screaming. (Oh, the red glops were leftover from her gummy vitamins). I change her pj’s and try to get her to calm down (deep breaths seem to work) while Davey gets vomit duty. A good thing he did it, because I almost hurled when I saw it. I have a milk/mayo/ cottage cheese/cream cheese (I could go on) phobia.

We decide to take her temperature. I have one of those nifty ear thermometers, which sometimes aren’t accurate. But, she consistently registered 101.7 and 101.8. Mine was a chilly 97.7. She was already feeling better since she calmed down, but we gave her more ibuprofen for the fever.

By this time it’s about 6 and Sage is wide awake. So I feed her. Meanwhile Roan wants someone to sleep in her bed and is mad that “daddy” has to get ready to go to work. I told her someone would come back in for her, thinking (hoping?) that she would fall back to sleep.

I brought the baby back to the crib and Roan was still awake waiting for someone to sleep with her (that’s what she told me). So I told her she could sleep in my room, but she had to go to sleep..blah blah blah.

Finally, after many back rubs and another screaming fit when Davey left for work, we both fell back to sleep around 7:30. When Roan woke up, she rolled over and said “Hey, I’m not sick anymore.” I felt her head and she didn’t feel feverish.

That reminds me...I have to take the barfed upon cow-cow out of the washer.

7 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how this stuff works, so maybe it's a stupid question, but is it possible that Roan got the flu from the shot?

-michele

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

I'm pretty sure you can't get the actual flu from the flu shot. My theory is the shot gave her a fever (possible side effect) which made her feel like crap and her extra warm pj's didn't help. Then she kept having bad dreams that got her worked up, add a little bit of milk and voila!

That being said, when she was around a year (she skipped it last year, but I got one) she got the flu shot and then got a nasty virus a couple days later. Coincidence, perhaps. My theory on that one is she was exposed to some bugs at Kaiser when we got the shot and then the shot weakened her immune system temporarily and she got sick.

Lesson learned? I think Roan might just skip the stupid flu shot next year.

I just checked to see what kind of vaccine they used and its and inactivated one in the shot. The nose spray vaccine is actually a live, weakened version of the virus. I'm wondering if some people get the flu from that.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I've never gotten a flu shot, and I feel suspicious of them. And it's the kind of thing where I think I might not get them for my kids, but then I worry that that would make me a bad mom! I guess when you're an actual mom, you do actual research about htis stuff, but I was just curious what you thought. So you think you might actually skip it next year? Would your doctor totally trip out if you did that?

-michele

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

I only got the flu shot once, last year when I was pregnant. I go back and forth on it. I don't really think Roan will need it next year. She'll be 4 and should be able to deal with the flu if she gets it.

Our ped always suggests they get them. He's sort of old school. I like him, though and I get the sense he really loves kids (which is a good thing, I guess if you're a ped).

There's always a lot of weird info going around about vaccines. (Don't listen to Coast to Coast unless you really want to get freaked out). I don't really think (in my gut, haven't read any studies) that the flu vaccine is super-neccessary, but then I don't think that it is really unsafe either. Unless all of the conspiracy theories are true...(Coast to Coast)

We figured it might be good for Roan to get it, because we're thinking about putting her in preschool this winter and she's never been in any school/daycare situation (GERMS!!!).

I would really hate for the baby to get the flu. It's miserable when infants get a fever, so she got one and has to go back for a booster.

I wouldn't think anyone's a bad mom for not giving their kid a flu shot. I get a little annoyed at people who don't innoculate their kids at all, when it really seems the benefit to society (anyone got polio lately?) has outweighed any risks.

I actually made Davey decide if he wanted them to get one this time, because I knew it would come up at the appt.

But, yeah, I hate making these decisions.

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point about polio!! I guess each thing has to be evaluated on it's own, but in general I worry about whether my DIY hippy ideas are cool when it comes to my (future) kids. I mean in general I thnk they are, but mostly with health stuff, I wonder.

Anyway thanks for the info. I know it's dorky but I like this blog for the motherhood angle. It's something I think about a lot, and it's cool to hear stories about Roan and Sage.

-michele

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

Thanks for the info, Amy! I've heard about the thimerosol, which is also in my contact lens solution. My ped sort of mentioned it a long time ago, and didn't believe there was much evidence either, about the autism connection.
I had a discussion about it with my sis in law (who used to work with autistic kids) and her friend when Roan was a baby, they didn't seem to have any strong evidence about a link either.
About mercury, I had a chem prof at CSUS (Dr. Borer...Heckasac knows her) who said you could probably eat mercury and be fine, as long as you didn't inhale the fumes. Hmmmm. In the lab I used to work in we used mercury in this contraption we used to do dissolved gas analysis. There were little balls of it everywhere. That combined with the PCB's and the solvents of course started to freak me out a bit. Glad I quit that job long before I decided to have kids.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger werenotdeep said...

Awww...poor lil woblets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home