Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Boo!

Stupid Blogger won't let me upload images right now. I'll have to try again later. Sheesh....

Ah. Halloween. I love this ‘holiday.’ I have a whole box of Halloween crap that I didn’t even take out this year. Things like flashing skulls, seizure inducing, flickering bat lights and a Snoopy wearing a skeleton costume that plays the Peanuts theme when you squeeze his hand. I didn’t put anything up this year for several reasons. First, our house is always in disarray due to random toy bits, shoes and graham crackers scattered about. I thought Halloween decorations would just add to the clutter. Anything I put up would be seen as a “toy” and I would have to listen to countless hours of whining when the kids figured out they were not allowed to play with any of it. Then everything would get broken and/or lost because the kids would find some way to get a hold of the stuff anyway. Perhaps the biggest reason I didn’t bother with putting up the Halloween stuff was I didn’t want to hear, “Is it Halloween, yet?” twenty times a day, everyday. Good going kids. Way to suck all the fun out of Halloween.

Luci and the girls carved a couple of pumpkins while I was at the gym last night. We got a nifty pumpkin carving kit at Target a few weeks ago. They come with little saws that are great for carving and you won’t sever an artery like you will using a kitchen knife. Of course, the kit was (and still is) nowhere to be found. So they used the really old rusty pumpkin carving tool from a kit I got a million years ago. Roan saved some pumpkin seeds and wants to glue them on the pumpkins ‘chins’ so it looks like ‘drool.’ Last night she said drool, this morning she said ‘slobber.’

I think we’re taking them to “Boo at the Zoo” when Luci gets home from work. It costs money to get in and we went last year and it was a total *ahem* zoo so I’m not sure why we’re going again. I guess it’s kind of fun. They have trick or treat stations (which is mostly advertising aimed at the parents), craft areas, hay bales, a costume parade which is kind of cute to watch. They also have snakes, hedgehogs and other creepy animals for the kids to see. Okay, hedgehogs are kind of cute, but they had them out last year. We may trick or treat some, I’m not sure yet. Luci doesn’t like it and says it’s like ‘begging.’ I only think it’s begging if people trick or treat and they’re not in costume. We get these people all the time. They’re often way to old to be trick or treating as well. But the age thing doesn’t really bother me, just wear a fracking costume.

Roan just informed me that “giraff-is are a lot taller than kids” when I told her we might go to the zoo tonight. Preschool money well spent! Speaking of preschool, they had their “pumpkin party” yesterday. All of the girls minus a Wonder Woman and a Cowgirl were either a princess, fairy princess or a fairy of some sort. The boys were a little more varied, but super heroes were very common (Batman, Spiderman). There was a Darth Vader and an “Army Guy” (his words), a pirate and a red M&M. They ate giant pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate frosting and then rolled in Halloween themed sprinkles. For some reason that seems really gross to me.

Roan is dressing up as a princess in the dress I made her. Of course, since I made it, it doesn’t fit great across her shoulders so she gets to wear a white turtleneck underneath it so she doesn’t flash too much skin. The turtleneck solves another problem, Roan complaining that the dress is “itchy.” When she wears the turtle neck underneath, the itchiness doesn’t bother her. It doesn’t look as bad as you might think. Though it would be cuter with out the shirt.

I really need to learn how to make my own dress patterns. The patterns you buy always require a lot of fabric. Roan’s dress is semi-fancy and looks pretty nice minus the bad sewing, but making it didn’t save any money and that’s not even counting the time it took to make. Anyway, I learned how to gather and put in a zipper by making the dress.

Sage is going to wear a little witch costume I bought. She was supposed to wear the giraffe suit that Roan wore for two years in a row, but when we put it Sage she wouldn’t stop crying. I doubt she’ll keep her witch hat on for long. Last night I made a shirt and a skirt to use as a witch costume for me as well. I’ll see if feel like wearing it or not tonight. Luci will probably just pull out the wizard hat.

4 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Jason Beymer said...

I don't see it so much as begging. I think it's more like teaching children the art of extortion. Little Jimmy might seem cute in his little Shrek mask, but if you don't pony up the candy, he'll egg your house.

In my grandfather's day, the words "Trick or Treat" were more of a threat than a beg. Heck, they might as well say "Tell ya what, Mister...I'll protect your house from all the eggs tonight, if you just keep giving me and all my buddies them Hershey Kisses."

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

Dough, I'm with you. I enjoy the threatening aspect of trick or treating. Is it considered begging if the trick or treaters are adult and not wearing costumes? We get them every year.

I should have a Halloween report up as soon as I get around to writing it. (I was going to say soon, hehe).

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

Hey anonymous, don't you know my two level 60's (in WoW, btw, not that evil D&D) are a Priest and a Paladin? I'm using the Holy Magic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home