Wednesday, July 12, 2006

It's Been Awhile...

I just looked at my blog today and realized it’s been about 3 weeks since I posted. Roan’s “bubble blowers” swim class was the first interruption to my blogging. For five straight mornings I got to stand around in an 18 inch deep splash pool with Roan who refused to sit in any part of the pool more than two inches deep. The kid takes baths in deeper water. So I could pretty much forget about her trying to do the “crocodile” much less actually blow a bubble in the water. At least by the end of the week she seemed to be having “fun” walking around in the water and stopped whining and crying. The water was pretty cold at 10 in the morning, though.

The same week we got a mini van. A Honda. Now I can be part of the annoying soccer mom clique that I always wanted to join. Not really. I used to drive a mini van before I had kids. My dad still has it. A golden-beige ‘87 Ford Aerostar. It was sweet. Not really. I traded it for my dad’s ‘87 (i think) Nissan pickup, which is now for sale. Who wants to buy it? Anyhow, the Honda is pretty nice. The kids no longer get their heads bonked in the doorway when I put them in the car.

Roan had her first ballet recital a few weeks ago. It was pretty hilarious. They didn’t really do a “dance.” They just mimed some stuff and pretended to sing along to “I won’t grow up” from Peter Pan. Their costumes were oversized suit jackets which none of them really wanted to wear. The whole thing fell apart by the end and there was very audible laughter from the audience. I didn’t get to see much of the other acts because I was stuck in an 85 degree room with a bunch of hyper children for most of the time. I hope that counts for some of my time in purgatory, because it was hell. One of the acts I did see was a group that must have been from a tumbling class. They all had to do cartwheels across the stage. There was a kid, just like me, who couldn’t do them but still had to do these weird half-cartwheels anyway. I took a class like that when I was a kid and had to do cartwheels by myself down the “runway” when we had our recital. At least no one laughed at this kid. I had the audience in hysterics. I was just glad I could entertain.

Last night I took a water aerobics class. A friend of mine wanted to try it out, so I said, “sure.” It was okay, I guess, once I was able to contain my inappropriate giggling. Actually, a lot of the time I had no idea what I was doing. Matters were not helped by the fact that I’m nearsighted and didn’t have glasses or contacts on in the pool. I had to keep asking my friend, “what’s she doing?” The best part was trying to stand on a noodle and “surf” on it. I was insanely bad at this and my noodle went flying out of the pool. It was pretty amusing. I’ll probably do it again next week. Can I wear contacts in the water if I’m not submerging my head? I did end up getting splashed in the face a lot. It would be nice to see, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home