Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Dead Cats and Herbal Remedies

I had a discussion first thing this morning with Roan about our dead cat Burgie. The cat has been dead for about a year and a half now. To be fair, we didn’t really tell Roan what happened to it until a few months ago. (Check the archives of October ‘05 for my dead cat post). Even though we told her Burgie died, she kept thinking she was lost. I had to tell her again this morning that Burgie was dead. Roan got a little sad look on her face and started asking about Sluggo (our other, living, cat) and if Sluggo was going to die. So I had to explain that someday Sluggo would die. Roan took it all really well. Maybe, too well. Then she asked, “when Sluggo dies can we get a new cat like Sluggo?”

Last week we were at her friend from preschool’s house and they had a new kitten that Santa had brought for Christmas. It was pretty funny to see the little orange cat run down the stairs only to be follow a few seconds later by a herd of preschoolers yelling with outstretched hands, “Kitty, Kitty, KITTY.” Anyway, that’s what started the idea of getting a “new” cat. On the way home, Roan kept asking if we could get another cat since we lost Burgie.

******************************************************************************
Anyone ever take Airborne? You know, that herbal crap you drink when you feel like you might be getting a cold. I’ve always been skeptical, but Sunday I woke up achy with a sinus headache and was sure I was getting sick. I’ve been taking the stuff and the impending cold hasn’t materialized. Perhaps it’s a coincidence and the stuff is merely damaging my liver. Who knows. But I didn’t get sick! This is after weeks of snotty nosed children running around the house. Sage had something kind of nasty, snot-wise, anyway.

5 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger leon said...

I was listening to a news show on KDVS, and Airborn can damage your liver from the vitamin A. The other compound that's supposed to boost your immune system in Airborn is vitamin C, so you are just as well off by drinking a glass of OJ.

Maybe you already know this...just sayin..

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

Thanks for the comment. I suspect if anything works in Airborne, it might be the zinc. So I'd probably be better off using Zicam, really. I'll have to look into that vitamin A deal. I don't think the vitamin A in Aiborne is beta carotene, so it may just be toxic amounts. Yuck.

It's funny because before the great sicknesses we had around our house last year about this time (thanks to kidlets), I never would have tried any of this stuff. That's how desperate I've become.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

Haha. I'm screwed. Now I read that there are lawsuits over Zicam causing people to lose their sense of smell. I know all the stuff is probably just the placebo effect in action. Now I need a new placebo. I can't do orange juice, too many calories. :P
Plus, I gave up on the vitamin C thing a long time ago.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

I actually saw them on your site awhile back. No more pets for us, or so says the Luciglom. Hopefully someone will adopt them soon!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger lisa ninja said...

Pretty much anytime is good. You two should come over and hang out sometime. You still have our number?

I think we're going to "Once More with Feeling" at the FF. Should I have bought tickets already? I'll probably do that this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home