Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Steel Cut Oatmeal

Okay. I’ve had a couple recommendations for the stuff. One was from my brother and the other from Oprah (owa-owa- oprah). I went to the store last night and saw some in the hippy-food aisle. It was on sale so I decided to get some and try it out.

When I got it home I compared it to the regular old “quick oats” we have in the house. All of the nutritional information was pretty much the same. I was feeling pretty skeptical at that point. There was really no nutritional benefit to eating it and it takes about a half-hour to cook on the stove top, compared with the 1.5 minutes the quick oats take in the microwave.

Anyway, I decided to make the stuff this morning. As it was simmering, I would periodically check on it and give it a stir. Each time I was kind of grossed out by the thick skin it developed. One time the skin was pretty thick so I pulled it off the surface of the oatmeal. Ewww.

About the time it was done, I noticed that a bunch of it was stuck to the bottom of the pot, which was annoying. I kept thinking that this stuff was a total waste of time. But, to get to the point, it was really good. A lot better than the “quick oats.” It was kind of chewy and just tasted better. (The giant spoonful of brown sugar couldn’t have hurt). It didn’t have the “gag on me” quality that the quick oats sometimes have. I’m converted. There are microwave directions on the package, but they are not recommended. I’ll have to give them a try sometime and see what happens.

1 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Rosalitahead said...

The steel cut oatmeal is a cruel bitch, sweet and delicious when she wants to be but a half raw yet stuck to the bottom mess at other times.
I love hot grains.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home